Open weekends, free entry - check opening times here

The Building


Bishops’ House is what we call a half timbered building, with a frame of load bearing timber infilled with plaster, wood and other materials.  The stone layer on the lower half of the building may have been added after the the building was first constructed, leaving the upper half as the familiar ‘Tudor’ black and white timber and plaster walls.  Apart from Bishops’ House, there are only two other buildings in Sheffield of this style; Broomhall and the Queen’s Head pub (previously known as the Hall in the Ponds).  

The three buildings that have survived are not typical homes from this period. Most buildings would have been more modest and of the simpler ‘cruck framed’ construction. The lower stone layer added structural support and protected the building from the elements.  There are some examples of buildings from a  similar period in the area that were built with a lower stone layer at the outset, but in other cases it was a ‘home improvement’ to rebuild the ground floor walls in stone – one that only the more affluent owners could afford with their high quality buildings.   

In the Summer of 2022, 3D artist and archaeologist, Adam Appleton of Captis visited Bishops’ House and took what seemed to be hundred of photographs by hand and using a drone.   Above is the result of his work!  For best results click on the button to view in full screen, and if your computer is up to it, you can click the SD logo and change to HD.

Building Bishops' House

From felling the trees to assembling the building

Phases of construction

Bishops' House evolved over many years

Apotropaic marks

Also known as witches' marks

Tree ring dating

This has helped us work out how the building developed

The names of Bishops' House

Previously known as...

Ken's Curiosities

Snippets of interesting information

Captain Blythe's Chimneypiece

Installed in 1655, but removed from Bishops' House by 1878, Captain Blythe's beautiful carved oak fireplace had last been seen in Sheffield at auction in 1922.

 © 2020 Friends of Bishops’ House. All Rights Reserved.

Friends of Bishops’ House is a UK registered charity, number 1150722, and company ltd by guarantee number 08307595
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use