Open weekends, free entry - check opening times here
Back to all Post

The Capped Well


There is a well in the cellar of Bishops House. It’s now blocked up and we can use a pump if the water level gets too high. But why was it put there in the first place? There may be two answers. Firstly, there are many natural springs in the area and this may have been one of them, just dug out to provide a convenient source of water. The other answer relates to when it was built. The cellar is part of the final extension of the House, built about 1631 to 1655. This was around the time of the Civil War [1642-51] and the owners may have felt more secure knowing that they had an indoors water supply.

 © 2020 Friends of Bishops’ House. All Rights Reserved.

Friends of Bishops’ House is a UK registered charity, number 1150722, and company ltd by guarantee number 08307595
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use