For more information please click 'check opening times' below.
Once a yeoman’s farm surrounded by fields, today Bishops’ House is one of the region’s architectural treasures, open as a museum and hosting regular events, weddings and school visits. Bishops’ House is kept open to the public by The Friends of Bishops’ House, working in partnership with Sheffield City Council who own and maintain the building, and Museums Sheffield who curate most of the items on display.
First installed in 1655, but removed from Bishops’ House by 1878, Captain Blythe’s long-lost and beautiful carved oak fireplace had last been seen in Sheffield at auction in 1922.
In the depths of lock down, some brilliant detective work coupled with a good dose of luck and considerable generosity led to a fantastic result for Bishops’ House.